Jack Terrill's practice largely focuses on estate planning for clients with complex assets, such as businesses, real estate, and other significant assets. He is a nationally recognized authority on asset protection planning, which involves estate planning with attention given to the preservation and protection of assets from undue exposure to litigation or other claims.
Jack's practice also includes charitable planning (particularly creating and operating foundations), estate settlement, and fiduciary litigation. He is also frequently engaged as an expert witness in matters involving estate and trust litigation. He has acted as a guardian ad litem to assist judges in evaluating complex estate planning and trust administration disputes.
Jack is a member of the American Bar Association and its Real Property, Probate, & Trust Law, Taxation, and Law Practice Management Sections; the Pennsylvania Bar Association and its Real Property, Probate, & Trust Law Section; the Philadelphia Bar Association; and the Philadelphia Estate Planning Council.
He has been listed as a top trust and estate lawyer in Philadelphia's Best Lawyers, named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by
Philadelphia Magazine, and received the highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards from
LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating.
Jack is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel where he currently serves on the Executive Committee and is the ACTEC State Chair. He was the founding chair of ACTEC's Asset Protection Committee and is a member of the College's Professional Responsibility, Asset Protection and Legal Education committees. He also chairs ACTEC's Task Force on FATF (the Financial Action Task Force).
Jack was a lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania Law School where he taught Trusts and Estates. Before that, he was an adjunct professor in the graduate tax program at Villanova University for 15 years. He continues to teach and speak several times every year at professional meetings and bar associations across the country. His topics include asset protection planning and the impact of FATF on law practice.
- Asset Protection Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Estate Administration
- Estate Planning
- Fiduciary Litigation
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., cum laude (1976)
- Dartmouth College, A.B. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa (1973)
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Chair, Probate and Trust Law Section (1995)
Natural Lands Trust
- Chair, Board of Trustees (July 1, 2013 - Present)
- Vice Chair, Board of Trustees (1999 - Present)
- The Baldwin School
American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Executive Committee
- FATF Task Force Chair
- Academic Fellow Committee
- Pennsylvania State Chair (2012 - Present)
- Board of Regents (2010 - Present)
- Asset Protection Committee Chair (2006 - 2009)
- Lecturer, Graduate Tax Program, Villanova University School of Law (1987 – 2003)
- Lecturer at Law, University of Pennsylvania (2010 – 2011)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Elected 1991
- AV Rating, Martindale Hubbell
- Philadelphia's Best Lawyers (1993 - present)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer (2004 – present)